PET bottles is a menace in most developing countries and a lot of effort has gone into methods to utilize plastic (PET) bottles as "bricks" during construction. Several programs in partnership with Governments and NGO's have led to over 50 bottle projects across Latin America, India and Africa.
The main challenges in all these projects were:
- The ineffective shape of the bottles.
- The waste of time to fill bottles with sand.
- The amount of clay required to bond the bottles together.
- The on-going maintenance.
- General lack of education concerning the enviroment and the impact of waste.